Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Second hand................... isn't so good.


My parents are garage sale, action estate sale junkies. No pun intended. that is what they do for fun. They do not go to the movies, concerts ect. They go sales. Mind you my parents are great a home improvement projects and gardening but other then that they watch tv and go to sales.

At first, i loved this idea getting stuff for cheap and looking around for a deal. But now i have learned my lesson mind you i will still go to garage sales but i will be careful what i buy. So many things my parents have bought me "cheap" from auctions are NOW sitting broken in my garage not knowing what i will do with it:

Here is the list :

1. two broken bicycles ( one from a flea market in denver and one a friend gave me) both unfixable with out cash put into them.
2. Two broken gas grills (one bought from an action one a neighbor gave me) one needs a $25.00 new hose - it leaks gas. one needs a new burner $30.00 that burned out
3. A food processer by hamilton beach that does not even work. I thew it away.
4. An ugly armor with broken drawers in my bed room we are using. draws cant stay on the track
5.two sets of washer and dryers.

So by the time you get the item from the action, haul it home. use it for three months to a year and it dies. then you are not only stuck with this large broken item, you don't know what to do with but you need to by another one. My mom bought a chipped rice cooker for $10 rather then buying a brand new one for $20 and luckly it works. Im not ungrateful for what i get its just buy the time you get done replaceing the things that are broken that you recieved second had you could by a brand new one and save the money and the hassel.

So i am saying no to actions and second had items unless its a great deal and a good quality.
I dont think i will ever by a used appliance or electronic again. I bough a great pleather recliner for $20 but other than that everything else has gone ca-put on me. I told my mom about my problems and she told me she was offened but now i see them buying brand new things.....a new grill for themsleves on black friday ect......... so may be what i said rubbed off........... anyway i have to find a polite way to tell them no more action items for me

No comments: